Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Universidad y Familia

Finally started back schooling today. It was so weird because I haven't had regular classes since mid-December. At UAI (Universidad Adolfo Ibañez), there isn't even a map! So I get there 30 minutes before my class starts and I'm so lost. Ask the guy at the desk, but still couldn't figure it out. Finally saw some gringo mates....and felt much better.

There were only about 8 of us, all from ISA in the class....so it was pretty confortable. The prof was kind of nervous...she's straight out of grad school and was having some trouble with her English. Luckily, I had my Spanish Dictionary to help her out. The class was to go from 11-2, but we had a half hour break in between which was nice. I have another class today, a class in Spanish, con Chileanos. I'm not gonna lie, kind of nervous for it. I changed this class from my previous time so I could have it with mi amiga gringa, Stephanie, but from what I've heard from the others, not the easiest thing. What's different here is that I don't ever buy my books. All of us have to get photocopies, which is definitely new. And sooo much cheaper. However, because its once a week, that means I have a book to read per week.

In casa news, my wireless internet that I had been secretly using has failed me. I think they figured it out and locked it up on me. Its such a sad story. I am working on borrowing an ethernet cable, which would be super sweet. I just need to figure out after that where I can plug it in.

The other day at lunch, mi familia preceeded to tell me all the mugging stories of their previous students. One was mugged in the day time in front of the Congress building. One was mugged in Mendoza. No wonder they never had a phone to give me! I figure though....I won't go out for a drink taking a purse full of valuable and such. As long as I'm responsable and aware...I should be fine. My family is so cute...they are always telling me "¡con cuidado, con cuidado!" I went out for a drink with my sister last week; she's so sweet. She's a lot more badass then she comes off.

1 comment: